Monday, November 4, 2013

Making sugar....part 2


Well, it does not look that appetising at the moment....I hope that it will improve! I had 3 large pots bubbling away on the stove for about an hour. This was to release the sugars which are contained in the sugar beets. 


I then strained them with the colander to remove the large bits,


Then I put a cloth over my jam jar filling funnel, It has a wide mouth, and strained the liquid again to remove some of the smaller particles. I was not happy with the amount of bits still in the juice, maybe they are soil particles from the nooks and crannies of the sugar beets, so I used a fine clothed funnel filter and it took out quite a lot. I had to wash out the cloth 3 times between pours as there was so much. We don't want gritty sugar....!



I was left with some dark liquid, a pan load, which I will boil down, and down, and down........ It smells and tastes like sugar, but it will not made that much!!!! We must wait and see..........

This is the recipe I am using http://www.grandpappy.info/rsugar.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here!